Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"Michael Phelps"

So Matthew continues to grow and get bigger and better and more skilled at many things. Obviously with the summer season came much swimming. This summer he has accomplished swimming the lenght of our 40 ft. pool without stopping, doing somersaults underwater, front flips off the side, all kinds of jumps off our 'table' diving board, beginning to learn the backstroke, as well as diving to the bottom of our deep end (10 ft) to get torpedoes or other diving toys. He has done both of these all on his own without pushing from us or his brothers.

Well last week...he made us laugh some more as he amazed us in how much he really does learn from watching others. So he is going to practice his back stroke and the converstation goes like this:

Mom: On your mark...

Matthew: No not like that (as he is climbing out of the pool) Then he stands on the edge.

Matthew: Stand like this a long time.

Mom: Ok.

Matthew...jumps into the water then turns around and grabs the wall (just like the did in the olympics he had watched)

Matthew: Ok now.

Mom: On your mark, get set, go.

Mom and Dad are screaming for him, like he was in a real race.

We couldn't believe he totally got in the pool just like you do for backstroke...so the funny continues...I go inside to get the camera to video this come back out and ask him to do it again. He won't (no suprise!!). He wants to just do the crawl stroke he has been practicing...so trying to get him to do the backstroke this is our converstion...

Mom/Dad: Do backstroke, we'll take a video. (He responds "no: to everything)

Mom/Dad: We'll make a movie.

Mom/Dad: We'll call you "Matthew Schiess" like a real swimming.

Matthew: No, say Michael Phelps!!!

We were cracking up...he loves Michael Phelps. Think I should get that on video and mail it to Michael Phelps, he might just get a kick out of the fact that a 3 year old wants to be him. Previous to this one day I was teaching swimming lessons in the back yard and he came to the patio door saying something over and over and over again trying to get me to understand. All I could get was 'watching ...." something. I went through everything I could imagine he was inside watching...well turned out I finally got it...he was "watching Michael Phelps". All by himself he'd put on the olympics we had recorded on the DVR and was honestly contently watching Michael Phelps.

What a great kid Matthew is!

3 comments:

Ben and Sandee said...

Is he up for adoption? Because I would take him in a second! I too am a huge Phelpsian! That was the only reason I watched the Olympics. Glad to see that you're all doing well. Love ya

Hazelhofer said...

Yeah! I need to get the kids autograph, it definitely will be worth something one day! Go Matthew. Glad Dallin is his friend huh!

Jody said...

Good Job Matthew! It is fun for us to see what a good swimmer you are becoming. Keep up the good work. We miss you.
Love, Bryce, Eryn, and Kaitlyn